Conor: Well, the fever is basically whatever ails you or oppresses you. It can be anything. In my case it's my neurosis, my depression... but I don't want to be limited to that. It's certainly different for different people. It's whatever keeps you up at night.
Interviewer: I see.
Conor: And the... and the mirror is, as you might have guessed, self examination or reflection in whatever form. This could be vanity or self-loathing. I know I'm guilty of both.
Interviewer: That's interesting. Uh, how bout the scale?
Conor: The scale is essentially our attempt to solve our problems quantitatively, through logic or rationalization. In my opinion, it's often fruitless, but always... ah, not always... And the clocks and calendars, it's just time, our little measurements. It's always chasing after us.
Conor: Do you ever hear things that aren't really there?
Interviewer: I'm sorry, what?
Conor: When I was a kid I used to carry around this safety pin everywhere I went in my pocket and when people weren't paying enough attention to me I'd dig it into my arm until I started crying. Everyone would stop what they were doing and ask me what was the matter. I guess I kind of liked that.
Interviewer: Really... you're telling me you're doing all this for attention?
Conor: No, I hate it when people look at me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment