December 28, 2009

When you grow up, your heart dies.

It's been really lovely being home for Christmas. I've had a catch up with friends, seen all the family, exchanged conversation in ways you only can with people who have been with you as you grew older and shared the memories and times which made you who you are.

It's nice. Very nice. I fear even that I won't want to go back to University, because although I love the academic side of things the actual lifestyle of it all just doesn't compare. It's hard to explain and I won't even try.

One thing I will say is that since getting back one of the comments I have had from various family members is 'I thought being at Uni would have made you grow up a little bit'. This was mainly after being with my three year old cousin. When with my cousin (and children in general) I have been told I come down to their level. I can agree with it, it is very much true... but I wouldn't change that for the world.

You see, I have always thought that in this society children grow old before their time. When I was a child I was told to 'grow up', and I know I wasn't the only one. I don't understand where this mentality came from. Personally, telling a child to 'grow up' is one of the worst things that can be said I think, because a child is just that... a child. A childhood only happens once, and it's a shame so many are losing theirs before they should.

I understand now I am nineteen years old... my childhood ended long ago, but it does not mean I should lose that which I admire and love so much... the imagination. I act my age in some ways, in others I act older, but in many I still act like I would have when I was ten. This isn't an issue to me, it's an issue to the rest of society, or my family, or those who have 'grown up' already. In many ways my immaturity isn't something which can be seen as such, because most of it is in my head and heart. You know how as a child you could imagine a box to be whatever you wanted? I can still tap into that mentality in many ways... I call it being creative. This creativity is something I plan on using throughout my desired career, in fact I plan on using throughout my whole life... so to lose it would be both sad and stupid.

The weird thing is... I get along with most kids really well. The same people who tell me to grow up are the same people who thank me for looking after their kids when there is a party, or the same people who comment on how great I am with kids... they miss the point somewhat, the reason as to why this is.

And so... although this has been a fairly stupid rant, I feel it needed to be said for no other reason than there is no reason. The day I stop being a child at heart will be the day I die, because I wouldn't want it any other way. When you grow up, your heart dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment