April 4, 2010

A decision of the death kind...

when I die, I don’t want a funeral, or to be buried. Y’see, once I’m dead, that’s it. My body is useless, and the idea of my family or whoever might care when death comes a knockin’ paying tons of money to stand and stare at my lifeless body in a wooden box just isn’t my idea of money well spent, not to mention, what’s the point?

I’d rather be remembered for what I have been. All the funerals I have been to, that memory of them, seeing the dead bodies of the people I love… I have no comfort in that, and that is the memory that lasts because it was the last time I saw them.
I remember my great Aunty who I loved to bits, and the last time I saw her was in a coffin. I touched her hand, and she was just... cold. and although she looked beautiful in a still kind of way, that's still the lasting memory that will stick with me forever. That and being stood at her grave while the coffin was being lowered, tears streaming down my face.
That's not a celebration of life, in any form, it's just a party for the dead, and not one that can even be enjoyed.

No… I don’t want that. Just stick me in a cardboard box and burn me in a forest, then sprinkle my ashes in the sea. And with the money you save, get pissed and remember me for all the good times. And go watch whatever small films I have made, look at the drawings I have made, read the stories I have told... That is what I want to be my final communiation, my lasting memory, the things I created while I was alive.

That’s if anyone cares by the time the reaper comes and takes me away.
Either way, I hate funerals and I don't understand why anyone would willingly want a lasting memory to be everyone sat looking at them in a wooden casket. I'm sorry, but it makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment